Energy consumption

The majority of the energy used by Ansaldo STS is electricity, which is used for lighting, the operation of plants and temperature control in Company buildings.

Ansaldo STS uses fossil fuels, mainly methane, and district heating to heat the workplaces.

In order to reduce electricity consumption, the Company conducts constant maintenance works on its real estate assets to increase their environmental efficiency. Energy-saving lighting and heating/cooling technologies are used as much as possible, such as:

  • LED lighting systems;
  • building envelopes and thermal insulation for windows and doors;
  • direct-expansion heating/cooling systems (heat pumps);
  • presence detectors or clocks/timers to control the on and off switching of the systems;
  • improvement in the data centre’s energy efficiency;
  • affixing of signs to remind personnel about energy saving initiatives, such as turning off lights, laptop computers and devices that consume energy;
  • reduction in the number of vehicles used by the Company.

In 2017, in order to further reduce electricity consumption at the Genoa and Tito Scalo sites, we installed a new smart lighting system, with state-of-the-art Wireless and DALI technology that adjusts the brightness of the lamps on the basis of the actual intensity of natural light measured by sensors installed in each room.

The estimated annual energy saving is about 510 MWh for the Genoa office and 258 MWh for Tito Scalo, representing a reduction in consumption of over 70%.

Energy consumption trend

In 2017, total energy consumption - electricity, methane, diesel, LPG and district heating - amounted to 119,971 GJ, down 1.6% compared to 2016 despite an overall 4.7% increase in hours worked. In the three-year period 2015-2017, overall consumption fell by 3.5%.

 

In absolute terms there has been an increase of 1.5% of total electricity consumption against a reduction of 11.9% of methane compared to 2016.


 

The energy consumption trend of the three-year period 2015-17 at the production and office sites is illustrated in the following table.

 PRODUCTION SITESOFFICE SITES
 201520162017201520162017
Electrical energy (GJ) 28,834.3 27,102.2 31,165.6 56,307.0 57,564.3 54,754.0
Methane (GJ) 3,711.2 3,888.9 4,102.8 23,138.2 21,191.3 17,999.8
Diesel (GJ) 42.9 231.5 295.9 7,154.5 6,158.9 6,134.2
District heating (GJ) - - - 2,417.6 3,363.9 2,772.0
Petrol and LPG (GJ) 389.7 342.3 199.2 2,263.7 2,086.2 2,547.8
TOTAL (GJ) 32,978.11 31,564.8 35,763.5 91,281.0 90,364.6 84,207.7

In absolute terms, about 70% of total energy consumption is due to the 15 office sites, while the remaining 30% relates the three production sites.

The Energy intensity performance indicator showed a reduction of 5.8% in the 2016-2017 period due to the combined effect of the increase in hours worked (+4.7%) and the decrease in consumption (-1.6%).

 

 

Performance in 2015-2017 confirms the general downwards trend of the indicator: -13.6% due to the combined effect of the reduction in consumption (-3.5%) and the increase in hours worked (+11.8%).

Considering electricity consumption only, the performance indicator Electricity consumption per hour worked showed reductions of 3.0% compared to 2016 and 9.7% compared to 2015.

 

 

The Energy intensity indicator for buildings, calculated on the consumption of electricity, methane and gas for heating and district heating by square metre, demonstrated an increase at production sites (+13.6%) due mainly to the increased consumption of electricity, while a considerable reduction was observed at offices (-11.7%) due to the reduced consumption of all energy components.

 

 

RENEWABLE ENERGIES

Once again, in 2017 Ansaldo STS requested the cancellation of its GO certificates (Guarantee of Origin), an electronic certification attesting the renewable origin of the sources used, for the Italian sites and offices.

By acquiring and subsequently cancelling the certificates (the latter entails the withdrawal of the certificate from the market), Ansaldo STS demonstrates its commitment to environmental sustainability through its willingness to pay the positive difference with the price of electricity from conventional sources.

In addition, the Solna site uses a mix of totally renewable energy (wind, water and biomass).

ELECTRICAL ENERGY FROM RENEWABLE RESOURCES (KWh)201520162017
Energy from renewable sources 6,399,993 6,513,346 6,133,428
% renewable sources of total 27.1% 27.7% 25.7%

 

The slight reduction in the percentage of renewable energy relates to the reduction in electricity consumption at Italian sites and offices.